The Sedition

Supporters of the opposition Congress for Democratic Change are called the sedition. During a recent rally in Monrovia, hundreds of them thronged George Weah, standing, his fast raised in the air, on the roof of a black Hummer. It was too noisy and chaotic for Weah, a onetime top footballer, to hope to address the crowd. I wanted to speak to him but was forced to keep moving. A man in a leather jacket in 90-degree heat told me I'd have to wait until we reached the CDC compound, miles from where we stood. A giant bodyguard in an orange polo overheard my request. Silently he motioned for me to use him to lift myself up onto the car. In seconds Weah had one of his enormous arms on my shoulder, steadying me as I situated the microphone.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf had just won the Nobel Peace Prize. I asked Weah if he thought it would affect the race for the presidency.

"The Liberian people know her character," he said. "They know she is not sincere, not a good person. We don't care."


Comments

Popular Posts